John, a 42-yr-old veteran, who was referred to me for the evaluation of low blood counts. Further testing including bone marrow biopsy revealed acute myeloid leukemia (AML, a type of blood cancer) transforming from a myelodysplastic syndrome (a bone marrow failure condition, often caused by exposure to chemicals or nuclear material). As an oncologist, I not only had to deliver the terrifying news, but also tell him that his condition carries poor prognosis with only 10% chance of cure. It did not take John that long to figure out he had 90% chance of dying. He really wanted to fight to see his unborn child. Unfortunately, chemotherapy did not work…he was finally succumbed to AML without even seeing his child. There are many like John who die from blood cancer everyday.
The treatment for leukemia and lymphoma has come a long way. In 1960s, blood cancer survival rate was only 3%. The cure rate for children with certain blood cancers now is around 85%, thanks to the research and donors like you. For adults, certain leukemias still carry a grim prognosis.
This year, I have been nominated for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) “Man of the Year” title which indeed is an honor. With your help and support, I am starting this journey along with my team members to raise $500,000 between March 1st and May 11th of 2018. Every dollar we raise opens the door for a new study and every study takes us a step closer to a “cure” for these desperate patients. 78% of funds raised in this campaign go directly to research and patient services, while 7% goes towards LLS administration and 15% for fundraising.
There are several ways you can help us reach our goal and they are attached with this letter. Please note that your donations/sponsorships are tax deductible. Details are posted on my personal fundraising website https://pages.mwoy.org/soh/dayton18/skathula. I really appreciate your time and consideration.
Come on…let us be part of the “cure”!
Satheesh Kathula, MD, FACP
Clinical Professor of Medicine
2018 Man of the Year Candidate for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Partner Physician, Dayton Physicians, LLC.